Thursday 12 February 2015

How easily life gets away on us!

With all the new stresses on my computer, it decided it needed some TLC. Ha! A little TLC became a new hard-drive with all the labour involved in transferring files and a whole additional weekend spent in the shop. My poor old computer that had been delegated to playing music in my sewing room was suddenly thrust into the spotlight and asked to perform tasks it clearly balked at doing. It is now back on its shelf high above my sewing table happily spinning out tunes for me.

I have to say, though, that it was quite a thrill to have my business cards and magnets arrive! I chose the design from Vistaprint and, because they had a huge sale, on I bought magnets as well. The magnets have the business motto on it: Fresh modern fabrics & projects for people who love to sew! Believe me, they look great on a refrigerator door! You will receive one free with your first order!



I decided I needed to get my hands on fabric again and pulled out a quilt I had started before I moved to Perth, Ontario. The collection, by Jenn Ski, is called Mod Century. The old-fashioned way of making quilts with simple squares has always appealed to me and with the wildly abstract patterns, I thought something a little calming and cohesive was in order. This collection includes the textured solids I love, so I decided to make a bunch of Nine-Patch squares with alternating solids and pattern.


Jenn Ski's Mod-Century collection for Moda Fabrics

(By the way, I have yards of this fabric available for sale. Even enough for most bedroom curtains. Contact me at willandbeadesignstudio at gmail dot com if you would like some.)

The other thing is, finding fabrics that would appeal to boys older than 5 years old is not easy to do, as many of you probably know. So I think the bright colours and abstract shapes in this collection would make a great quilt for a teenager or grown man. There is nothing fussy about this fabric!

I started with charm packs because: A) I am terrible at cutting fabric, B) they include the full collection, C) there isn't a lot of mess and space needed for the fabric, and D) I get it all at one really great price! With that in mind, you can see how the traditional Nine Patch became a Twelve Patch with each 5 inch "charm" making 4 x 2 1/2" squares. I'll make a tutorial to show you how 2 of these charms will quickly become an 8 1/2" block.



Bye for now! And thanks for dropping-by!

No comments:

Post a Comment